* Update on the building
* Fundraising update - particular the President's Dinner on 1st November
* Rowing Matters
* Membership reminder
Building Update - Property Sub-Committee
* If you have been to the club recently you will have seen the builders cabins set up in the car park and fencing erected around the building. We had originally hoped to start demolition near the end of September, but then two further finds of asbestos in the building pushed that date back. During that time our builders were also pushing National Grid (confusingly, the owners of the gas main) to confirm that their demolition and piling plans we acceptable. After weeks of delay, National Grid eventually came back to say that vibration monitoring would have to be carried out. This adds significantly to our costs and adds a 3-4 week delay. This is extremely frustrating, as it pushes our groundworks further into winter but there is nothing we can do about it.
* That aside, the project team are continuing to work on a number of areas including internal design and fit-out and the bar/kitchen designs.
* Separately we are looking at how to record the build. A member of Marlow Camera Club who lives opposite will be recording it all on a time-lapse camera, so there may be a good video after the event. We are looking at putting a web camera up on All Saints Church and the steeplekeeper and bell-ringers kindly let us up the tower to do a site survey. While up there, we got some pictures of Marlow that you don't normally see.
Fundraising Update - Fundraising Sub-Committee
* The main event coming up is the President's Dinner on 1st November. It is co-hosted by Sir Steve Redgrave, our President, and Suzanne Browne, the Mayor of Marlow. Following a similar format to last year's successful Olympics/Paralympics dinner, there will be a welcome drink & canapes, a 2 course meal plus coffee and half a bottle of wine per person. There will be silent and live auctions with many really good lots, and a live band and dancing. Tickets are £65/person or £650 for a table of 10. Dress is Black Tie. You can see a list of the auction lots online, and buy tickets now online.
* The sponsor programme has been going well - we have new Gold donors (Mike Spracklen, Peter Clark, The Naghi Family (of Stoneyware)), Silver donors (Sir Matthew Pinsent CBE, Michael Acton-Smith) and Bronze donors (David Hempleman-Adams, Bill Masser, Ali Kenny, Sarah Jackson, Geraldine & Jeremy Rowe). We are grateful to these donors, and a further mailing about the scheme is going out to the membership shortly.
* Also in November, Chris Lenton and the River Church band will be giving a performance in support of the rebuild fund - 29th November at the RBL. Tickets available online.
* We still have significant amounts to raise - £150,000 so the fundraising effort cannot slack off yet.
Rowing Matters - Rowing Sub-Committee
* The RSC has been looking at how the squads take people on from learn to row or general enquiries and move them within the club. Each squad will have entry critiera so that it can fit into an overall structure, so that members can understand how they can progress within the club.
* Bookable boats at Longridge will eventually be booked with an online system, but until then booking forms will be put in Computer House.
* There are various groups on weekend afternoons. The Improvers group is out on Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. Our Bucks New Uni members are in two groups - Dan Clarke & Mike Mottram lead the novices in the gym at 2.30 and Tom Rendell on the water at Longridge. The BNU relationship started last year and is going well. BNU members will be able to race for BNU at university events and as MRC in normal BR regattas.
* For boating at Longridge, we comply with their safety rules on lights. They, in turn, follow the Environment Agency status which you can see online on our website under the "Can I Row Today?" menu item.
* There will be a club time trial on 9th November, and a capsize drill (mandatory for juniors who haven't done one before) is also scheduled for that day.
Ed Phillips, Club Secretary